July 17 - Captain Francesco Schettino returns to court to face charges of manslaughter for his role in the Costa Concordia disaster that killed 32 people, but his lawyers say he is not the only one to blame. Lindsey Parietti reports.
The captain of the Costa Concordia is back in an Italian court on charges of manslaughter. Francesco Schettino's trial resumed Wednesday after being delayed by an unrelated lawyers' strike earlier this month. The 52-year-old captain is accused of abandoning the cruise ship while crew members and passengers were still onboard when it ran aground off Italy's coast in January 2012. The disaster claimed 32 lives. Schettino's defence team said he is not the only culpable party, though he is the only person facing trial after Costa Concordia settled potential charges with a 1 million-euro fine. (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) SCHETTINO DEFENCE LAWYER, FRANCESCO PEPE, SAYING: "He has never shied away from his responsibilities. But it is only fair that he is treated justly with the responsibilities of a captain. This is something we have been very clear about.." Among those attending the trial is Domnica Cemortan, who says she was with Schettino at the time of the crash. (SOUNDBITE) (English) COSTA CONCORDIA PASSENGER, DOMNICA CEMORTAN, SAYING: "I hope that all the truth will come out because really, we need this. Many people don't know many things so I hope with process all the people will find out." (REPORTER ASKING OFF CAMERA "The true things about you?") "Not about me. I'm no one. I'm just a simple woman who was on the ship as a passenger. Prosecutors plan to call the Moldovan native as a witness.