Sept. 22 - Witnesses tell of their ordeal as the armed siege of a shopping mall unfolds in Nairobi and death toll grows. Paul Chapman reports.
The number of dead in the Nairobi shopping mall siege had risen to at least 59 by Sunday afternoon. There was still no end in sight to the stalemate as Kenyan security forces surrounded the complex and the armed attackers remained holed up inside. They're believed to have hostages but it was unclear how many. Kenya's Interior Minister said more than a thousand people had been evacuated from the Westgate mall. At least 175 people were being treated in hospital, some of them wounded security personnel. As the deadlock dragged on survivors of the assault told how it began on Saturday. Presidential candidate Ben Mulwa was among them. (SOUNDBITE)(English) BEN MULWA, PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, SAYING: "They shot into the security cubicle and started shooting randomly. I think specifically they were targeting the security guys because I saw them pursuing quite a number of them. Unfortunately where I was, the security guard who was lying next to where I was, was shot in the head and died instantly. I saw that. Then he shot at me and the bullet, if you look here, there was a graze here." Another witness, said to be a manager at the complex, said all she could do was hide and hope. (SOUNDBITE)(English) UNIDENTIFIED WITNESS SAID TO BE A MANAGER AT THE WESTGATE MALL SAYING: "Bullets were running over my head but God protected me until around 11. That is when I crawled into my office and I locked myself inside." Militant Somali group al-Shabab is claiming responsibility for the siege The group is fighting Kenyan and other African peacekeepers in Somalia and had threatened attacks on Kenyan soil if Nairobi failed to withdraw its troops.