The death toll in Gaza pushes past 100, at least 75 of them civilians according to Palestinian authorities. Paul Chapman reports.
Israel's battle with militants in Gaza entered its fifth day on Saturday with no sign of any let-up. Palestinian authorities say more than 100 people have been killed in Gaza since Israel began air strikes on Tuesday. They say at least 75 of those are civilians. The casualties include two disabled women killed when an Israeli tank shell hit a rehabilitiation centre in Gaza City early on Saturday. Palestinian medics said four others were wounded. Five youths were killed and 15 other people were hurt in an airstrike on the Jabalya refugee camp the same day. A mosque was also hit. The Israeli military said a weapons cache had been stored there. The offensive is the deadliest since November 2012 when Israel launched aerial bombardments in response to Hamas missile attacks. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is urging the United Nations to order an immediate truce. Israel's prime minister is defying international pressure to negotiate a ceasefire with the militants whose rocket attacks he is seeking to end.