South Korea prepares to return the remains of 68 Chinese soldiers killed during the 1950-53 Korean War. Rough cut (no reporter narration).
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) South Korean soldiers on Monday (March 16) wrapped up the remains of 68 Chinese soldiers killed during the Korean War in preparation for their return to China. After the Korean War of 1950-53, the remains were buried at a burial ground in Paju, near the border with North Korea. The South Korean military said they dug up the remains of the Chinese soldiers from April to November last year and have successfully identified them in the past two weeks. A Chinese delegation observed the wrapping up of remains and thanked South Korea. The coffins, which contain the remains, will be returned to China on Friday (March 20), the South Korean defence ministry said. South Korean President Park Geun-hye offered to return the remains of the fallen soldiers who fought on the side of North Korea in a symbolic gesture of friendship when she was visiting China in 2013, Seoul's Presidential office said. The Korean War started on June 25, 1950, when Communist North Korean troops launched a surprise attack across the 38th parallel into South Korea. U.S.-led United Nations forces battled Chinese- and Soviet-backed North Korea. Three million soldiers and civilians were killed and five million became refugees.