Youths defy protest ban in Guinea, as opposition leaders call for nationwide protests against the timing of elections. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) STORY: Youths, defying a government ban on demonstrations, clashed with security forces in Guinea's coastal capital Conakry, as opposition leaders called for nationwide protests against the timing of elections. Some erected barricades of logs and burning tires, others threw stones and fired catapults at security forces who were trying to clear them out with tear gas. Residents in Conakry's Koloma neighborhood reported hearing gunfire in the early afternoon as police and gendarmes moved back into areas they had been forced out of. A separate government statement reported protests, some of them authorized, in a handful of places outside Conakry. It said two civilians had been injured but gave no further details. Guinea's presidential election on Oct. 11, announced by the electoral commission in March, broke a 2013 agreement to stage long-delayed local polls first, the opposition says. Analysts say that holding local polls first would give President Alpha Conde's rivals more influence in organizing the presidential election. Opposition figure Mouctar Diallo said police had deployed around the homes of the leading political activists on Monday. Weeks of demonstrations have left at least four people dead and many more injured, according to opposition leaders, who say security forces have fired live rounds during clashes. The government says three have died and rejects accusations that shots have been fired at protesters. Authorities say police officers have been shot at during the demonstrations. The governor of Conakry said the opposition had failed to obtain official permission for Monday's protests.