The Taliban claims responsibility for an attack on a guest-house in the Afghan capital after an overnight siege comes to an end. Rough Cut (no reporter narration)
ROUGH CUT - NO REPORTER NARRATION The Taliban claimed responsibility for an overnight attack on a guest-house in the diplomatic enclave of the Afghan capital that ended on Wednesday (May 27) morning after a stand-off with Afghan government forces. The Afghan interior ministry said the militants had been armed with a rocket-propelled grenade launcher and other weapons. All four attackers were killed and no other casualties were reported. Heavily armed insurgents stormed a guest-house in the diplomatic quarter of Kabul late on Tuesday (May 26) night. The attack targeted a guest-house owned by a prominent Afghan political family, Kabul's police chief said, declining to provide details on the occupants. Teams of elite Afghan security forces were deployed to the guest-house area, an upscale part of the capital where many embassies and government buildings are located. Kabul's police chief said the guest-house was owned by the Rabbani family, and further information would be shared once the area was secure. The late Burhanuddin Rabbani served as president of Afghanistan in the 1990s and his son, Salahuddin, is the current foreign minister. The attack was the latest in a series aimed at foreigners and government targets in the Afghan capital during the past two weeks.