The Republican National Committee dumps NBC News from sponsoring a Feb. 26 debate of GOP presidential candidates, after a debate conducted by media partner CNBC was roundly criticized by the candidates. Jillian Kitchener reports.
The Republican National Committee is not pleased with NBC News... dumping the network from sponsoring a planned debate in February because of how Wednesday night's CNBC debate transpired. (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE, TED CRUZ SAYING: "The questions that have been asked so far in this debate illustrate why the American people don't trust the media." RNC Chairman Reince Priebus told NBC in a letter that the party wants to ensure candidates are given a "full and fair" opportunity to lay out their political visions. He says Wednesdays' debate in Colorado was supposed to be devoted to discussing the candidates' views on how to improve the U.S. economy. Instead, he says, it strayed. The move by the Republican National Committee comes as several of its presidential candidates seek to change the format for the remaining debates. Among other things, they say too many candidates are on stage at the same time and do not get enough time to speak.