Haiti's interim President Jocelerme Privert says his government's hurricane response was critical to relief efforts as the country grapples with the devastation and a potential cholera outbreak. Natasha Howitt reports.
Relief efforts are in full swing in Haiti after a devastating hurricane tore through the country last week. The United Nations has said 1.4 million people are in immediate need of assistance. Many in the international community have stepped up efforts to send aid. But Haiti's interim president Jocelerme Privert (JOH - SLEHM PRE-VEHR) on Tuesday played down that international response. "There is a lot of good will (and) there are many actors" organising aid for the victims, he says. But they can only do that because "the state played their part" - the state made hurricane-affected communities "accessible". Privert admitted resources were needed, and said the country was "willing" to receive them. The scale of destruction is beginning to unfold. Hospitals are struggling to cope - patients here are infected with cholera, and there are fears of an outbreak. Many suspect the death toll of 1,000 will rise. The U.S. has meanwhile said it is temporarily stopping Haitians from being deported from the country. Last month, special protections for Haitian's seeking a new life in the U.S. ended. They were put in place after the deadly earthquake in Haiti in 2010. This is the worst humanitarian crisis the country has faced since then.