U.S. Director of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson says officials are ''doubling down'' on security along the perimeter of the inauguration route to prevent against truck-related attacks similar to those seen in Nice and Berlin. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) U.S. officials on Friday (January 13) said they will use cement trucks and buses to prevent unauthorized vehicles from disrupting the upcoming inauguration of Donald Trump in Washington. The decision to "double down" on security at entry areas along the inauguration parade route was motivated by recent attacks in Europe involving trucks driving into crowds, Director of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson said. Perimeter areas will be "more heavily fortified against unauthorized vehicles, by dump trucks, heavy trucks, trucks with cement, busses and things of the like," Johnson said. Several trucks could be seen near gates along the inauguration route on Friday with the majority expected to be moved into position next week. In December, a truck plowed into a crowded Christmas market in central Berlin killing 12 people. In July, a truck drove into a crowd in the French resort city of Nice killing 84 people. At least 23,000 security personnel including the secret service, local police and the military, will be working during the inauguration, Johnson said but noted, "we know of no specific credible threat directed toward the inauguration," Johnson said. Between 700,000 and 900,000 people are expected to converge on the city for the inauguration next Friday (January 20). So far, 63 organizations have submitted permits requesting to demonstrate during the inauguration, officials said. Trump, a New York businessman and reality television star, will be the U.S.'s 45th president.