The premier of Quebec province, Philippe Couillard, expresses solidarity with the province's Muslims after the mosque shooting in Quebec City that left six people dead. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) The premier of Quebec province, Philippe Couillard, said security would be increased at mosques in Quebec City and Montreal after Sunday's shootings. "We are with you. You are home," Couillard said, directing his comments at the province's Muslim community. "You are welcome in your home. We are all Quebecers. We must continue together to build an open welcoming and peaceful society". The shootings came on the weekend that Trudeau said Canada would welcome refugees, after U.S. President Donald Trump suspended the U.S. refugee programme and temporarily barred citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States on national security grounds. Six people were killed and eight wounded when gunmen opened fire at a Quebec City mosque during Sunday night prayers, in what Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called a "terrorist attack on Muslims". Police said two suspects had been arrested, but gave no details about them or what prompted the attack. Initially, the mosque president said five people were killed and a witness said up to three gunmen had fired on about 40 people inside the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Centre. Police said only two people were involved in the attack. "Six people are confirmed dead - they range in age from 35 to about 70," Quebec provincial police spokeswoman Christine Coulombe told reporters, adding eight people were wounded and 39 were unharmed.