Tens of thousands of Colombians take to the streets in a nationwide anti-government march calling for President Juan Manuel Santos to step down. Rough cut (no reporter narration)
ROUGH CUT. NO REPORTER NARRATION. Tens of thousands of Colombians took to the streets nationwide on Saturday (April 1) in an anti-government march calling for President Juan Manuel Santos to step down. The march was led by former president and influential opposition senator, Alvaro Uribe, who said many Colombian presidents have had to step down in the last century but none of their actions had been as serious as those of Santos. Among the main qualms are Santos' moves to adjust and push through a peace agreement with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) late last year after the initial version of the agreement was rejected in a referendum and was not returned to public vote. Former president, Andres Pastrana, marching in Bogota, said this constituted a coup d'etat even more serious than the events in Venezuela this week when the Supreme Court temporarily took over the powers of the opposition-led congress. Pastrana also pointed to the scandal by which Santos received money for his reelection campaign from the Brazilian constructor Odebrecht, currently embroiled in corruption probes throughout Latin America. Protesters, the majority of them dressed in Colombia soccer shirts and waving national flags, shouted slogans such as "No more FARC", "No more Santos", with banners and costumes making solemn references to the devil, skeletons and the grim reaper. Campaigns for the 2018 Presidential elections are soon to take off and Saturday's marches were seen as preparation on behalf of the main opposition party, Centro Democratico. Uribe cannot run for office again but it is thought that his hand-picked candidate would have high chances of a win.