The vice president of Catalonia's regional government said he is ''convinced'' that citizens will get to vote on independence despite Madrid's ban. Rough cut (no reporter narration).
ROUGH CUT. NO REPORTER NARRATION. Catalan vice-president Oriol Junqueras said at news conference that he is "convinced" the October 1st independence referendum will go ahead despite the ban coming from central government which has thrust Spain into its most dramatic political crisis for decades. Foreign Minister Raul Romeva asked the European Union to choose sides: "One is democracy, is dialogue, is politics and the other one is repression", he said after the ballot box for the referendum was unveiled. The central government, which has sent thousands of police reinforcements to the region to prevent people from voting, meanwhile insisted on Friday (September 29) the referendum would not happen. Courts have ordered police to cordon off schools scheduled to be used as ballot stations. In a bid to keep them open, parents have called for a mass school sleepover this weekend, with tents and sleeping bags, free paella and cinema. Organizers said 60,000 had already registered to participate.